Sailor Hat for Raspberry Pi (SH-RPi for short) is a power management and NMEA 2000 interface board for boat use. It is an Hardware Attached on Top (HAT) board, intended for use with a Raspberry Pi single-board computer or another sufficiently compatible device.
SH-RPi allows you to build boat servers running Signal K, OpenCPN, or your own custom IoT software and power them directly from the boat’s 12V or 24V network and interface safely with the boat’s NMEA 2000 data network.
See the SH-RPi documentation site for complete device documentation. Additionally, you can follow the OpenPlotter Server Installation tutorial for step-by-step instructions for creating a fully functional NMEA 2000 connected marine server.
This version includes a real-time clock circuit that allows the device to keep time even when switched off.
Central use cases include:
- Safely power the computer using your boat’s 12V or 24V power system. SH-RPi has a wide voltage range (8-32V) power input with additional filtering and surge protection.
- Keep the server running during power glitches or brownouts. The integrated supercapacitor ensures that intermittent power outages are totally ignored.
- Power even a Raspberry Pi 4B directly from the NMEA 2000 bus. SH-RPi includes a current limiting circuit that limits the maximum input current to approximately 0.8A. The supercapacitor provides ample peak power capability to run even power-hungry single-board computers with multiple peripheral devices such as a screen and an SSD drive.
- Shut the server down safely when the power is switched off. The computer is informed about the power outage and the supercapacitor provides power while the computer shuts down in a controlled fashion. No more corrupted SD cards!
- Interface the Raspberry Pi with the boat’s NMEA 2000 network or an automotive CAN bus. SH-RPi includes an isolated NMEA 2000 interface that is compliant with the NMEA 2000 specification.
- Reset the Raspberry Pi automatically if it has crashed.
- Stack other Raspberry Pi hats on top of SH-RPi to further add or customize the functionality. SH-RPi has been designed to not interfere with other devices using the SPI data interface.
- Don’t disturb other boat navigation and safety systems. SH-RPi complies with the relevant European and maritime electromagnetic compatibility standards, ensuring that the device does not interfere with other sensitive devices such as the VHF radio or the GPS.